haiku-usa

A blog devoted mainly to haiku and senryu and to thoughts about, and inspired by, haiku and senryu.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York

Haiku is to poetry as espresso is to coffee.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

spring chronicle

Since March 14, about a week before the official start of spring, I've been posting a number of haiku and senryu on the theme of the approach and arrival of the season. Just for the hell of it, I am here re-posting, in the order of composition, all the poems on the subject I've posted before. They were not written as a sequence, but I find that, rather like "Back from the Berkshires," an earlier post, they form a kind of accidental chronicle: The coming of spring as perceived from one spot in the universe. The only newly posted poems here are the last two, #11 and #12. Anyone who has visited before and/or simply isn't interested in reading the old stuff should skip to those.
1
March 14
almost spring
scattering of crocus
rising from the mud
2
March 15
rising from the mud
the purple brag of crocus
ready for the spring
3
March 16
on this brisk morning
that young woman's naked toes
are pointing to spring
4
March 18
looking for spring
the eye is held—
one mound of snow
5
March 20
Passion Sunday
palm branches
waving hello
6
March 20
growing fond of it
last mound of snow
shrinking into spring
7
March 20
first day of spring
chill rain
snow almost gone
8
March 21
another spring
a year older
up early
9
March 21
early spring
chill in the air
waiting for spring
10
March 22
patch of snow
yesterday a mound
the pace of spring
11
March 22
did the sun come out
this afternoon—
busy at my desk
12
March 23
spring rain
changing to snow
that will change

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I was consciously aiming for 5-7-5 by the time I approached the final draft, and that may have blinded me to the possibility you suggest.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Thanks for the tip on the em dash, and for all your comments. I don't belong to a haiku group; in fact, I don't personally know any haiku writers. The hope of receiving pointed and thoughtful comments like yours was one of my motives for setting up the blog.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.