haiku-usa

A blog devoted mainly to haiku and senryu and to thoughts about, and inspired by, haiku and senryu.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York

Haiku is to poetry as espresso is to coffee.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Toward Definitions: 5th Approximation

I don't want to get ahead of myself, and these approximations are still concerned primarily with matters of form, in regard to which haiku and senryu are identical. But, since I've raised the haiku-senryu issue, I'll permit myself an unsupported generalization at this point, keeping in mind that many argue the haiku-senryu distinction is no longer meaningful or relevant, at least in an English-language context. Anyway, the essential distinction between the two, if distinction there be, is that haiku is driven by perception, while senryu is driven by attitude. This one, for instance, is in my view an unambiguous example of senryu. Notice, by the way, that it's in the strict syllabic 5-7-5 format.

car alarm bleating
I devote my attention
to not hearing it

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lured here by your comment on my blog, I'm thrilled that it's possible to sustain attention to these questions of definition even while writing such fine pieces

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.